The City of Helena is currently accepting applications for the following positions. Individuals who have previously applied for any of the listed board vacancies are encouraged to reapply.
Helena Regional Airport Authority
The City of Helena and Lewis & Clark County adopted Joint Resolution 10677 creating the Helena Regional Airport Authority.
- One citizen to serve an interim term as a joint City/County Representative. The interim term will begin upon appointment and expire September 1, 2024. Thereafter terms are three years.
Business Improvement District (BID)
Per Resolution 19766 the BID was created to promote the health, safety, prosperity, security, and general welfare of the inhabitants of the City of Helena and the proposed district.
- One citizen to serve on the Business Improvement District. Applicants must be the owner of property within the BID District or be the owner’s personal representative, agent, or guardian. The interim term will begin upon appointment and expire October 31, 2025. Thereafter terms are three years.
Citizen Conservation Board
The Citizen Conservation Board was reestablished by a Resolution, passed by the Helena City Commission on 1/9/2023. The board will recommend, report on and monitor sustainability measures undertaken by the City of Helena.
- One citizen to serve as a citizen-at-large. The first term expires at one year. Previous members of the CCB are encouraged to apply and will be given special consideration. Terms thereafter are three years for citizens granted appointment who were not previously appointed to the CCB.
- Two citizens age 18 or under to serve as a Youth Representative. Terms are two years.
Downtown Urban Renewal District / Tax Increment Financing Advisory Board
The Downtown Urban Renewal Area Tax Increment Financing Advisory Board serves only in advisory capacity to the City Commission. The Advisory Board will provide advice only with respect to the following topics related to the Downtown Urban Renewal Area: annual work-plans, reports, evaluations, and budgets; allocation of TIF funds for projects; and amendments to the Downtown Urban Renewal District.
Terms for the Downtown Urban Renewal District/Tax Increment Financing Advisory Board are non-expiring.
- One citizen to serve as a representative of an historic preservation organization
- One citizen to serve as a representative of Helena School District No. 1
- One citizen to serve as a non-owner resident of the Downtown Urban Renewal District
Golf Advisory Board
This board is to function as an advisory body to work with the Helena City Administration toward control, supervision, improving and maintaining the Bill Robert's Municipal Golf Course Advisory Board, created via a proposal to the City Commission on January 21st, 1980 and approved by that Commission on May 18th, 1981. The objectives of the board are: to promote cost effective and efficient management of the golf course; to offer a single, accessible forum for input from all golf course users; and to evaluate user input and provide a meaningful input to the City regarding the golf course operations.
- Two citizens to serve as an interim Board Member. The interim term will expire October 31, 2023. Terms thereafter are 3 years
Helena Citizens Council (HCC)
The HCC is an elected body composed of four representatives from each of seven neighborhood districts. Established by City Charter, the HCC reviews and recommends actions relating to the annual budget and makes recommendations relating to the future development of the city.
- One citizen to serve as a resident representative of District 4
- One citizen to serve as a resident representative of District 5
Helena Housing Authority
This non-profit organization, established in 1938, manages and sets policy for all public housing in Helena.
- One citizen to serve on the Helena Housing Authority as an HHA Resident Representative. The term will expire August 1, 2024. Thereafter terms are five years.
City-County Consolidated Planning Board
The Board shall perform planning functions for the City and County and shall be the sole Planning Board to serve either or both governmental entities. Duties of this Board will be to ensure the promotion of public health, safety, morals, convenience, order, and the general welfare, and for the sake of efficiency and economy in the process of community development, the Board shall prepare a growth policy and serve in an advisory capacity to the local governing bodies establishing said Board.
- One citizen to serve on the City-County Consolidated Planning Board as a Conservation District Representative. The appointee must reside within Helena city limits. The term will expire September 1, 2025. Thereafter terms are three years.
Railroad TIF Advisory Board
Pursuant to §7-15-4828, MCA and Resolution 20374 that established the urban renewal plan for the Railroad Urban Renewal Area, the City of Helena is empowered to conduct redevelopment activities in urban renewal areas, which activities may be paid for by tax increment financing.
The Railroad Urban Renewal Area Tax Increment Financing Advisory Board has no assigned powers and shall only advise the Helena City Commission on the following related to the Railroad Urban Renewal Area: annual work-plans, reports, evaluations, and budgets; allocation of TIF funds for projects; and amendments to the Railroad Urban Renewal Plan.
- One citizen to serve as a resident of the Railroad Improvement District. The term is non-expiring.
- One citizen to serve as a Montana Business Assistance Connection Representative. The Term is non-expiring.
Tourism Business Improvement District Board of Trustees (TBID)
Resolution No. 19644, adopted April 20, 2009, created a Tourism Business Improvement District in the City of Helena. Per the resolution, the Board of Trustees is appointed by the City Commission and comprised of five to seven owners or managers of property within the District or their assignees
- Two citizens to serve as an owner or manager of property within the Business Improvement District or their assignees. The term will expire April 20, 2026. Thereafter terms are four years.
The City Zoning Commission was re-established by the Helena City Commission on June 4, 2001. The Zoning Commission shall have five members and one alternate, all of whom must be residents of the City of Helena.
- One city resident to serve on the City Zoning Commission as an alternate member. The alternate member will serve only if a regular member is unable to attend a meeting. Term will expire September 30, 2025. Thereafter terms are three years.