The City Attorney’s Office serves as legal counsel to the City of Helena and as a legal adviser to the Helena City Commission, city departments, and advisory boards appointed by the City Commission.
The City Attorney’s Office is also responsible for:
- prosecuting misdemeanors and City Code violations committed within the city limits;
- providing outreach, support, information, and advocacy services to victims of violent crime;
- representing the City in litigation, arbitration, and administrative proceedings;
- preparing and reviewing ordinances, resolutions, agreements, deeds, easements, and other legal documents; and
- rendering legal interpretations and opinions as requested by the Helena City Commission and City Manager.
The City Attorney’s Office does not provide legal advice to members of the public. Any member of the public seeking legal advice with respect to City laws, rules, or regulations should contact private counsel.
The City Attorney’s Office is located in the City-County Building at 316 North Park Avenue, Room 203, Helena, Montana 59623. The telephone number is (406) 457-8595. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Obtaining a Copy of Police Report
If you are:
- a defendant in criminal case in Helena Municipal Court and are not represented by an attorney;
- a victim of a crime; or
- anyone seeking a copy of a police report prepared by the Helena Police Department
you may request a copy of a police report by following the following link https://lcchelenamt.seamlessdocs.com/f/CityDiscoveryForm or by visiting the City Attorney’s Office to complete the police report request form in person. Most requests are fulfilled with 10 business days. You will be required to provide a valid photo ID before the information may be released to you.
Depending on the nature of your request, the release of the report may be subject to the Montana Criminal Justice Information Act of 1979 codified in Mont. Code Ann. § 44-5-101, et. seq., City of Helena Resolution No. 20244, and Montana’s laws, rules, and regulations with respect to individual privacy.
Public Criminal Justice Information and Crash Investigator’s Reports
These may be obtained from the Law and Justice Center located at 406 Fuller Avenue. You will be required to provide a photo ID and may be assessed a fee in accordance with City Resolution No. 20244. Fees will need to be paid in exact change or a check made payable to the City of Helena.
We are a prosecutor-based victim assistance program. Our primary responsibility is to provide outreach, support, information, and advocacy services to victims of violent crime at the misdemeanor level. We work with the prosecutors, law enforcement, and community resources and act as a liaison between all involved. All work together to get the best outcome for the case with the best interests of the victim as a priority.
The criminal justice system can be confusing and hard to understand. You do not need to face this alone. A professional victim services specialist is available to assist you through the process and is committed until the case is resolved – no matter how long it takes.
The Victim Specialist can help you in the following ways:
- Guidance through the justice system
- Case status and disposition updates
- Referrals to local agencies and resources
- Guidance and emotional support during court proceedings
- Information about Crime Victim Rights
- Assistance applying for Crime Victim Compensation
We will make every attempt to meet any special needs you many have. There is no charge for our services.
1430 Sanders Street
Helena, MT 59601
*The Friendship Center is a private non-profit organization servicing victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking.
Victim Helpful Resources
- Helena City Attorney’s Office 406-457-8595
- Helena Municipal Court 406-447-8466
- Helena Police Department 911 / 406-447-8479 / 406-442-3965
- Friendship Center – 406-442-6800
- Lewis and Clark County Victim/Witness Coordinator – 406-447-8221
- Carrol College Victim Advocate – 406-447-4524
- Montana Legal Services Assn – Victim Legal Assistance Network – 406-442-9803
- AWARE Inc – Child Advocacy Center – 406-449-3120
- Child and Family Services – 406-444-2400
- Office of Victim Services – 1-800-498-6455
- Helena Food Share – 406-443-3663
- Office of Public Assistance – 406-444-1700
- State Law Library Self-Help Law Center – 406-444-9300
- Center for Mental Health – 406-443-7151
- Helena Indian Alliance – 406-442-9244
- MT Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence – 1-888-404-7794
- MT Crime Victim Compensation – 1-800-498-6455
- MT Sexual or Violent Offender Registry
- VINE (victim notification system) – 1-800-456-3076