If you have purchased an existing home in the city limits, you should already have a garbage container. It may be an individual 96-gallon container or a 300-gallon shared container in the alley. If you do not have either of these containers, please call 447-8086 to establish service.
If the home is a brand-new construction, the property owner must come to the Transfer Station and pay a pro-rated solid waste assessment. You can pick up your permit at that time. Office hours are Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. OUR OFFICE HAS RE-OPENED AS OF JUNE 1, 2021 for permit issue/replacements. We do try to cover the office during those hours but it would be beneficial for you to call ahead and confirm that someone will be in the office (406-447-8086) when you are planning on coming. Thank you.
Please bring the following items with you to setup service for new construction homes.
- Photo ID
- Closing Documents (proof of ownership)
- Check - only form of payment accepted at this time.
For a map of trash collection service days, please visit our forms page.
Trash collection is impacted by federal holidays. Please see our list of dates on our department homepage where trash service is impacted due to closure.
Trash Can Do’s and Don'ts
- Do - Residential customers must have their 96 gallon garbage container rolled out to the curb by 7:00 am on your regularly scheduled pickup day.
- Do - Alley containers are shared; if one is full please place your trash in the next container with space.
- Do - Please keep container free of all obstructions (snow, vehicles, excess garbage, etc.)
- Do - After your container has been dumped – please remove it from the curb.
- Do - Please bag all trash prior to placement in container.
- Don’t - Please do not pile trash around containers.
- Don’t - Please do not overfill your container. (if the lid does not close easily – it’s too full).
- Don’t - Please do not put construction debris, branches, rocks, dirt or oversized items in the container. If these items are placed in the container, the container will be stickered and will not be dumped until prohibited items have been removed by the customer. The City is not responsible to correct or collect unathorized items.