City of Helena Transfer Station - Open 7 days a week - 8am to 4:30pm

Transfer Station Accounts

Businesses or residents can set up a Transfer Station account.  This allows you to haul material into the transfer station as needed and be billed monthly.  You will be required to sign a receipt upon exiting the facility and you will be given a copy of this receipt.  This is also an option for residential customers who have gone over their yearly allowance on their residential permits. There is a minimum charge  of $6.00 (0 - 200 pounds). Tipping fees are $56.75 per ton.

Cash Customers at the Transfer Station

Everyone is welcome to use the Transfer Station. Residents that pay Solid Waste Assessments are eligible for City or County permits, and may enter using a valid permit. All other customers can pay with cash, check, credit card or use a commercial Transfer Station account. There is a $6.00 minimum (0 to 200 pounds). Check here for a breakdown of pricing by pounds for cash customers.

The current tipping fee is $56.75 per ton.

Speed Limits

The speed limit on the road approaching the scale (from Benton Ave.) to the posted speed limit sign at the scale is 25 mph.  The speed limit from that point forward is 15 mph.  Please abide by the posted speed limits.  Reckless driving can result in loss of privileges to use the Transfer Station

Residential Permits

Residential users must show permits or pay cash in order to use the Transfer Station. City and County residential solid waste fees are paid on residential property taxes. If you are renting, please check with your landlord.  For more information on residential permit eligibility, click here.

Permits are required for all Recycling. Out of district, commercial customers and residential permits that have exceeded their yearly limit will pay the current tipping fee for recycling. The weight of recycling is not deducted from the permits allowance if the whole load is recycling. If the load is mixed and you choose to recycle, two trips through the scale will be required. The weight of the recyclables will not count against your bulk solid waste allowance.



Yard Waste

Yard Waste is diverted from the Waste Stream. The weight of Yard Waste IS deducted from the permits annual allowance.

 The Compost Yard is straight back from the Scale, just past the Admin Building. All bags must be emptied, and items in the correct pile. Thank You.



Automotive Wastes

Car Batteries - Please store in an upright position and place in designated container, in the Recycling are, next to the oil structure

Waste Oil - Accepted from residential users in quantities of 5 gallons or less per visit to the Transfer Station, pour oil in designated spot, or leave oil jug in marked area for attendant to empty.

Antifreeze - Accepted in quantities of 5 gallons or less. Do not mix with other liquids.




We do accept most tires at the Transfer Station. We cannot accept tires larger than 3 feet high or 18 inches wide.

The following fees apply, if you do not have a residential permit:

There is no charge for residential permit holders with a valid permit. A valid permit is one that has not exceeded the 3000 pound allowance.

**Note: The fees above are disposal fees. This does not cover the weight of the tires. Cash customers will pay the weight and the tire disposal fee.



Appliances with Freon

A $15 per unit fee is charged for refrigeration units for cash and commercial customers. This freon charge is in addition to a weight charge. This fee helps to offset the cost of Freon removal, which is mandated by law. All refrigerators/freezers must be empty of food prior to disposal.  All refrigerator/freezer doors must be removed prior to entry. Refrigerators and Freezers will be inspected by the scale operator and stickered before entering the Transfer Station.

There is no charge for residential permit holders with a valid permit. A valid permit is one that has not exceeded the 3000 pound allowance.

All other appliances and metals should be placed in the designated Scrap Metal area. Always ask the scale attendant if you are unsure where an item is to be disposed of.



Household Hazardous Waste

Wastes generated within your home are not regulated by law and can usually be legally and safely disposed of at the Transfer Station once they are properly prepared.

Paints, solvents and other liquid wastes may be air dried or solidified in sand or kitty litter and then double bagged for disposal. If you are unsure about a specific item - call the Recycling Line at 447-8084 for assistance.

Latex Paint - Latex paint exchanges are held twice a year in spring and fall. If you would like to receive an email when the next date is determined, send your email address to Paintexchange,an email will be sent a few weeks before the paint drop off begins.

If the paint is not usable or if you cannot bring the paint on these dates, please air dry or solidify and double bag for disposal.

When purchasing household hazardous wastes (items that may be hazardous to health or the environment), please look for a safe alternative first. Then remember that the product isn't a waste until you throw it out. So, if you buy what you need and use what you buy - there isn't any waste for disposal.

Tipping Fee - $56.75 per ton

Contact Information:

Jim Lang

Scale Operator
447-8082 option 3