Where is it Found in Your Home?
Mercury can be found in the home in a variety of products, such as fever thermometers, batteries, thermostats, some eye preparations, mildew-proof latex paint, fluorescent light bulbs and various switches.
- Replace your mercury fever thermometers with digital or alcohol thermometers.
- Avoid buying products and devices that contain mercury.
- Annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event: Accepts mercury and related waste; the mercury is reclaimed and recycled.
- Broken thermometers and related clean up supplies: Carefully place in a heavy plastic sealed bag or glass container and label “Mercury Waste”. Bring to the Hazardous Waste Collection Event
- Do not throw mercury-containing items such as mercury thermometers, thermostats, and fluorescent bulbs in the trash.