Please call 447-8086 or 447-8084 prior to going to the Transfer Station Administrative Office for permit requests. The Administrative Staff makes every effort to be available Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm to issue/re-issue permits. There are times that we cannot cover the office the entire 8 hours. We would highly encourage you to call prior to coming in to make sure someone is going to be available to help you with your request. Thank you for your cooperation.

Residential Permit Policy effective July 1st, 2017

Each residential permit is allocated 3000 pounds per fiscal year (July 1st - June 30th). When you have reached/exceeded your 3000 pound allowance, you will pay for the overage and you will be put into a cash customer status. For current tipping fees - click here.  Tracking logs will be provided at the scale house upon request.
FY19 begins July 1st, 2018.

Permits are issued only to the legal homeowner.

Permit Information: Residential users must show permits in order to use the Transfer Station. Pictures of permits are not acceptable. The Scale Operators cannot look up permits.  Residential solid waste fees are paid on residential property taxes. If you are renting, please check with your landlord.

Scratchgravel Landfill District Residents (Lewis and Clark County) - If you live outside the City limits and need permit information call 447-8086

City of Helena - Residential home owners may obtain permits by bringing proof of ownership (closing papers or call 447-8086 to verify you are in the database) and a picture ID to the Transfer Station Administration Office.  The Transfer Station Administration Office is open Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:00pm ONLY.

If you have lost your permit, there will be a $5 replacement fee charged. Replacement permits are issued to the legal homeowner only, with a picture ID. All replacement permits can be picked up at the Transfer Station Administration Building; Monday through Friday - 8 am to 4 pm. For more information call 447-8086.

If the home is a brand new construction, the property owner must come to the Transfer Station  and pay a pro-rated solid waste assessment.  You can pick up your permit at that time.  Office hours are Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.  We do try to cover the office during those hours but it would be beneficial for you to call ahead and confirm that someone will be in the office (406-447-8086)when you are planning on coming. Thank you.

City of Helena Permits and Property Sales - The City of Helena Solid Waste Division updates home sales/ownership records frequently.  When a home is sold inside the city limits, the current permit issued to seller will be VOIDED. After closing, the new owner can come to the Transfer Station Administration Office and a new permit will be issued.  Transfer Station Administration office is only open Monday-Friday, 8:00am - 4:00pm.

Prior to coming to the Transfer Station, new owners can call 447-8086 to verify their information has been updated in our records. Or, the new owner can bring their closing papers and a picture ID to the Transfer Station Administration Office and a permit will be issued.  

Transfer Station Administration Office Hours:  Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:00pm

Transfer Station Disposal Hours:  Open everyday except Major Holidays or advertised closures, 8:00am - 4:30pm.

Permits are only issued to the home owner listed on the closing papers or listed in our property tax database.  A picture ID is required.

City of East Helena Residents - City of East Helena residents are eligible to use the Transfer Station on a cash basis only.

Tipping Fee - $58.75 per ton