Who is responsible for removing snow and ice on public sidewalks?

It is the duty of every property owner, lessee or occupant to remove snow and ice from public sidewalks adjacent to his or her property to prevent a hazardous situation for pedestrians.  To report snow and ice accumulation on public sidewalks, call the Code Enforcement Officer at 406-447-8443If you are unable to clear sidewalks abutting your property because of a bona fide disability or advanced age, you may call the Community Service Supervisor at 447-8227 to request assistance.  This is free of charge for qualifying individuals.

The streetlight in front of my house is not working.  Who should I call?

Report any streetlight outages to Northwestern Energy by calling 1-888-467-2669.

Where can I find a particular Helena City Code?

The City Codes may be accessed at or contact the City Clerk’s Office at 406-447-8410.

I have a complaint about weeds in my neighborhood.  Who should I contact?

The Weed Control Division of the City Department of Parks, Recreation and Open Lands has responsibility to see that Helena’s Weed Control Ordinance (City Code 7-7-1 through 9) is complied with both on city-owned properties and on private property within the city limits of Helena.  This includes both nuisance and noxious weeds.  Please call 406-447-8458 to report a weed problem.

There is a large, broken branch on one of my boulevard trees.  Will the City take care of it?

Helena’s Department of Parks, Recreation and Open Lands, Tree Maintenance Division, (406-447-8485) is responsible for trimming trees located in the city’s street rights of way (boulevards), public parks and other city-owned properties.  City crews will not enter private property to trim trees.