HELENA POLICE DEPARTMENT
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU CALL 911
Initially you will be asked: Where is your emergency? Please give an address, intersection, mile marker or, in the case of a wilderness area or park area, your location such as a trail or landmark.
Next, we need to know what type of emergency you are having. Will it require law, medical or fire response?
If your emergency requires a law response, you may be asked question such as:
- Is anyone intoxicated or under the influence of drugs?
- Can you provide a description of suspects and/or a vehicle involved?
- Does anyone have any weapons? If so, what are they and where are they?
If your emergency requires a medical response, you will be asked:
- What is the problem? What exactly happened? The answer to this question will determine what type of medical problem is happening.
- The age of the person having the problem and their status (i.e. conscious and breathing)
- Then, depending on the problem, we will ask questions that provide additional information for the responding medical personnel.
If the emergency requires the fire department response, you may be asked:
- Is smoke or flames showing?
- If there are flames, are any structures threatened?
- If there are flames, smoke or odors within a structure, has it been evacuated?
- Do you know the source?
- If it is a business or a garage, what types of chemicals are in the building?