Records Division Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a copy of an accident report?
Any person listed as an involved party on an accident report is entitled to a copy of the report or to review the report upon request.  Requests can be made in person at the Law Enforcement Center, or by mail to: 

Helena Police Department
Support Services Division
Crash Report Requests
406 Fuller Avenue
Helena MT 59601

There is a $5.00 copy charge per report.  Please include report numbers if you have them.  If the party making the request is not listed on the report (such as report services, attorneys presenting drivers, etc), there must be included a signed assignment of rights or signed request for the report to be released from one of the parties listed on the report.

How do I obtain a copy of a police report (other than an accident report)?
In most cases, the case reports filed by officers in criminal investigations are considered by law to be confidential and not available for release.  The Helena Police Department makes available to the public the Call for Service record that contains the details of an incident in compliance with state law.  In most cases, confidential information will be redacted from records before they are released.  This information is available to any member of the public upon request.  Contact Support Services Division at 406 Fuller Avenue, or at 447-8469, for information.  There is no charge for public information requests.   All requests for case reports, 911 recordings or other such records must be made through the City Attorney (457-8595) or County Attorney (447-8221).  Confidential records will only be released at the direction of the City or County Attorney or pursuant to a court order in accordance with state law.

I have a burglary or robbery alarm at my home or business.  Do I need a permit for it?  How do I renew an alarm permit?
Contact the Support Services Division (SSD) to apply for or to renew alarm permits.  Permit applications are available on our website hereor through SSD at 406 Fuller Avenue.  Permits are issued for a period of 5 years.  There is a $50.00 fee payable to the City of Helena for new and renewal permits.  Call SSD at 447-8469 with questions.