The City of Helena has the following board openings:
ADA Compliance Committee
- One city resident, representing a medical field.
- One city resident, representing the disabled community.
The ADA Compliance Committee will act as an advisory committee to assist in determination of reasonable accommodations. The Committee may review requests for reconsideration of complaints forwarded by the ADA Coordinator, may make determinations as to the validity of complaints, and my provide descriptions of the resolution of those grievances that have been appealed. The Committee may recommend priorities for making structural changes to public facilities, offer suggestions on how to achieve program accessibility, and review and make recommendations on employment practices and accommodations for compliance.
Business Improvement District
- One citizen to serve on the Business Improvement District.
Applicants must be the owner of property within the BID District or be the owner’s personal representative, agent or guardian. Per Resolution 19766 the BID was created to promote the health, safety, prosperity, security, and general welfare of the inhabitants of the City of Helena and the proposed district.
Board of Adjustment
- Two city residents, one to serve as a full board member, and one to serve as an alternate member. The alternate member will be called upon to serve on the Commission when any full member is unable to attend a meeting of the Commission.
Ordinance 1766, amended by Ordinances 2384 and 3097, established the Board of Adjustment to act on variance applications as detailed in Chapter 11-5 of the Helena City Code. Membership to include the following: One a member of the City Commission and four citizen members.
Citizen Conservation Board
- One city resident, to act as a representative from an Environmental Organization.
Term will begin upon appointment with no specific expiration date, per Resolution 20375. The Citizen Conservation Board will support, recommend, report on, and monitor sustainability measures undertaken by the City of Helena.
Lewis And Clark County Heritage Preservation Tourism Development Council
- One city resident, to serve as an at-large member representing the City of Helena.
The Memorandum of Understanding and By-Laws of the Lewis and Clark County Heritage Preservation and Tourism Development Council were adopted by the Helena City Commission and the Lewis and Clark County Commissioners, March 2012. The Council shall consist of seven members who have a demonstrated interest in protecting or promoting the heritage resources of the City and/or the County.
City Zoning Commission
- One city resident to serve as an alternate board member. This member will be called upon to serve on the Commission when any full member is unable to attend a meeting of the Commission.
The City Zoning Commission was re-established by the Helena City Commission on June 4, 2001. The Zoning Commission shall have five members and one alternate, all of whom must be residents of the City of Helena. Terms are three-years.
Those individuals who have previously applied for any of the listed board vacancies are encouraged to reapply.
Applications are available on the Boards section of the City Commission web page.
Unless otherwise stated, you must be a City resident in order to participate on a City of Helena board or committee. You may view a map of the City limits here.
Request the application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 447-8409 and can be submitted electronically or mailed to the City Clerk’s Office, 316 N. Park Avenue, Room 323, Helena, MT 59623. The deadline for all board applications is 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 24, 2020.