Streets Maintenance Division
Streets Maintenance is funded by a fee on commercial and residential property owners. These fees cover the following services:
- street sweeping (See 2021 Schedule Below)
- pot holing and patching
- asphalt milling
- asphalt overlays
- installation & maintenance of valley gutters
- crack seal and chip seal
- dirt street and alley maintenance
- snow plowing, sanding and snow removal
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is responsible for snow and ice on city streets?
- The Street Division (406-447-1566) is responsible for snow and ice control on city streets. Major arterials and other collector streets are cleared first so that vehicular traffic can continue to move safely and efficiently through the city's street network. The following operational priorities are adhered to: (1) designated emergency snow routes, (2) major arterials, (3) selected collector streets and (4) most residential streets. After priorities one through three are accomplished, special requests will be responded to if the Street Division verifies a need. To view our snow route map, follow this link: City of Helena Snow Plow Routes Map.
- It is the duty of every property owner, lessee or occupant to remove snow and ice from public sidewalks adjacent to his or her property to prevent a hazardous situation for pedestrians. To report snow and ice accumulation on public sidewalks, call the Code Enforcement Officer at 406-447-8443. If you are unable to clear sidewalks abutting your property because of a disability or advanced age, you may call the Community Service Supervisor at 447-8227 to request assistance. This is free of charge for qualifying individuals.
- Who should I call to report a dangerous pothole in the street?
- Please use the City App or call the Public Works Department, Street Division at 406-447-1566.
- The streetlight in front of my house is not working. Who should I call?
- Report any streetlight outages to Northwestern Energy using their on-line service form or by calling 1-888-467-2669. Call Center Hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. Reporting to the city will delay repairs as the city does not have authority to maintain streetlights.
- Who is responsible for processing noise, event street closure and block party permit applications?
- The Traffic Division does not process event (no alcohol, with alcohol), road closure (parades, races, etc.), or noise permit applications. To obtain one or any of these items, contact the Helena Police Department processes parade/special event permit applications. Online forms are available making it easier to apply for Noise Permits, Parade or Race Permits, and block parties with or without alcohol. If you need assistance contact the event coordinator by email or call 406-447-8284.
- Use the City App
- Streets Maintenance Division: 406-447-1566
- Email: email@example.com