Utility Billing covers the following areas: licensing, curbside recycling, intrusion alarms, water, wastewater, and commercial trash service.
Water and Wastewater Service:
- Contact the Utility Customer Service office at 447-8450 at least two business days prior to taking legal possession to set up your new service for water and wastewater. This will allow our office time to obtain a final reading from the water meter to transfer service from the contractor to you.
- The information that we require is:
- Service address
- Contractor’s name
- Closing date
- Title company handling the closing.
- The information that we require is:
- Water and wastewater services are billed to the landowner on a monthly basis. Water meters are read once a month and we bill a month behind. Water is billed on your actual usage. Residential wastewater is calculated from your October read through your May read of each year and updated with your July bill. Commercial wastewater is calculated on the actual usage.
Rental Properties and Water Billing:
- Property Owner Information:
Pursuant to city ordinance, all water bills must remain in the name of the owner of the property. However, if you wish to have your tenants pay their own water and sewer, you can sign a Rental Authorization Form, authorizing us to add the tenant’s name after yours for billing purposes:
John Doe (owner)
% Joe Snow (tenant)
City, State Zip
To provide your tenants with accurate billing, it is important for you to call us at least two business days prior to either getting a new tenant or having a tenant move out. We can manually calculate their bill if you want them to pay immediately or we can bill them if you have a forwarding address. Please be aware that the owner is still responsible for the bill should the tenant skip out. The owner will receive a copy of any delinquent notices sent out and can also elect to receive duplicate copies of each monthly statement at no additional charge. The Rental Authorization form can be hand delivered, mailed or faxed to us. This cannot be completed over the phone. A new authorization form is required for each new tenant.
If the owner of the property asks that you pay the water bills, please request that they complete a Rental Authorization form which allows us to add your name to the bill. This is not something that you can take care of for them. You may request a meter read on the day you move in and out to ensure accurate billing.
- Property Managers:
If you are hired to manage a rental property, the owner of the property must complete a Property Manager Authorization form. This form gives you permission to request address changes, inquire, make payments, and complete Rental Authorizations on the owner’s behalf.
Commercial Garbage Service:
The City of Helena offers commercial route pickup, roll off containers, and tipping options to local businesses. To start or cancel service, you must contact the transfer station directly at 447-8086. Garbage service does not follow from owner to owner. Owners must establish their own service. The charges for sanitation are billed through Utility Customer Services.
- In accordance with Helena City Ordinance 5-11-7, any business or residence within Helena City limits that is monitored by an alarm company must obtain an Alarm Permit through the Helena Police Department. This is to ensure that in the case of an alarm activation, responding officers are able to reach the correct point of contact without delay, and also to make certain billing for false alarms is done without incident. Billing for false alarm activations are mailed with your water bill from the City of Helena.
To obtain an Alarm Permit, either come to the Law Enforcement Center to obtain application materials, or complete the application located below. Return the completed application, along with the $50.00 alarm permit fee in person, or mail to:
Support Services Division
221 Breckenridge Street
Helena, Montana 59601
- Alarm permits are valid for five years. With your permit, you will receive:
- Four window stickers to display on your home or business
- A certificate of approval
- A copy of your original application
- An alarm permit packet, containing information you need to know about permits
- A receipt of payment
Alarm Permit Applications are available online or at the Law Enforcement Center. Any questions about alarm permitting, you can contact Support Services at (406) 447-8469. Intrusion Alarms are billed through Utility Customer Services.