Electrical Permits

A permit is required for any installation in any new construction, remodeling or repair, except as provided by Section 50-60-602 MCA.

Electrical work exempt from permit:

  • Repairs and Maintenance: Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.

  • Radio and television transmitting stations: The provisions of this code shall not apply to electrical equipment used for radio and television transmissions, but do apply to equipment and wiring for a power supply and the installations of towers and antennas.

  • Temporary testing systems: A permit shall not be required for the installation of any temporary system required for the testing or servicing of electrical equipment or apparatus.

Electrical permits need to be obtained by a State of Montana licensed Master electrical contractor and the wiring must be performed by a State of Montana licensed electrician.