Purchasing or Selling an Existing Home

Water and wastewater service:

Contact the Utility Customer Service office at 447-8450 at least two business days prior to taking legal possession. This allows our office to obtain a final reading from the water meter for the old owner, and start service for the new owner. The information that we require is the service address, seller’s name, buyer’s name and mailing address, date of closing, and title company handling the closing. Normally the title company will take care of this for you, but it is always wise to double check. Water bills stay attached to the property so in the event a bill remained unpaid, it would automatically transfer with the property to the new owner. Water is billed on your actual usage and wastewater is billed at the previous owner’s rate until you have established your own usage.

Residential Garbage Service:

Residential garbage service transfers with the property taxes. Do not take your container with you and discontinue use of your permit. To obtain a new permit, you will need to show proof of ownership for the new address at the transfer station.