Registration now open for 2017 testing
The Helena Fire Department is a member of the Montana Firefighter Testing Consortium (MFTC) along with the departments of Big Sky, Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Great Falls, Lockwood Fire District, Miles City, Missoula and Missoula Rural Fire District. The MFTC annually conducts written and physical ability tests for interested applicants. At the conclusion of each year's testing, applicants who successfully complete the testing may submit applications with any of the participating departments they are interested in working for.
The purpose of the MFTC is to create a pool of qualified candidates for the position of entry-level firefighter. In order to test, all candidates are required to have a valid driver's license, a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent certification, and be a least 18 years of age. Each participating department conducts additional selection processes after the MFTC's testing.
Employment Requirements (Helena specific)
- Nationally Registered EMT Basic (date of completion no later than the final interview)
- Successful completion of pre-employment medical exam (post offer of employment)
Benefits/Compensation (Helena specific)
- Salary $3944/mo (one year probation)
- Health insurance: includes medical, dental, vision and EAP (City pays premium for employee)
- City contributes to FURS pension
- Vacation accrual 120 hours/yr
- Sick leave accrual 96 hours/yr
- Holiday accrual 80 hours per year/88 hours on even # years
Additional information about upcoming testing is available on the MFTC's web site at: http://www.mtfiretesting.org