City of Helena Transfer Station - Open 7 days a week - 8am to 4:45pm

Transfer Station Accounts

Businesses or residents can set up a Transfer Station account.  This allows you to haul material into the transfer station as needed and be billed monthly.  You will be required to sign a receipt upon exiting the facility and you will be given a copy of this receipt.  This is also an option for residential customers who have gone over their yearly allowance on their residential permits.

Cash Customers at the Transfer Station

Everyone is welcome to use the Transfer Station. Residents that pay Solid Waste Assessments are eligible for City or County permits, and may enter using a valid permit. All other customers can pay cash or check or use a commercial Transfer Station account. There is a $7.00 minimum (up to 200 pounds) for cash customers. The current tipping fee is $70.75 per ton.

Speed Limits

The speed limit on the road approaching the scale (from Benton Ave.) to the posted speed limit sign at the scale is 25 mph.  The speed limit from that point forward is 15 mph.  Please abide by the posted speed limits.  Speeding can result in loss of privileges to use the Transfer Station.

Residential Permits

Residential users must show permits in order to use the Transfer Station. City and County residential solid waste fees are paid on residential property taxes. If you are renting, please check with your landlord.  For more information on residential permit eligibility, click here.

Permits are required for E-Waste as well as a per item fee. Out of District and commercial customers will pay current tipping fees as well as a per item fee.

Permits are required for Recycling- out of district and commercial customers will pay the current tipping fee for recycling. The weight of recycling is not deducted from the permits allowance if the whole load is recycling. If the load is mixed with garbage and recycling, two trips through the scale will be required. The weight of the recyclables will not count against your bulk solid waste allowance.


Compostable materials are diverted from the waste stream for processing. These items are not considered "recycling" - the weight is deducted from your Bulk Solid Waste Allowance.

Grass clippings, leaves and small branches are accepted for composting. These materials are then transported to Site E for processing.

The yard waste piles are east of the scale - continue forward past the Admin Building after exiting the scale.

Grass & Leaf Pile,No weeds, Hay or Sod
Brush Only - No Lumber

Grass Clippings and Leaves - Place grass and leaves into designated piles. Empty bags into piles and properly dispose of bags in nearby trash containers.

Branches - Place branches in designated location. Do not contaminate with garbage or other wood waste.


Tire Container north of scale

We do accept tires at the Transfer Station.  The following fees apply (check or cash only):

  • $2.00 for tires off the rim under 20 inches (inside diameter)
  • $5.00 for tires on the rim under 20 inches (inside diameter)
  • $10.00 for Semi Truck/Trailer Tires off or on rim and between 20-25 inches (inside diameter)
  • $25.00 for Tractor/Equipment tires over 25 inches (inside diameter) not to exceed 48 inches (outside diameter)

We do not accept anything larger than 48 inches. Call 447-8082, option 3 for information on disposing of oversize tires.

Note: The fees above are disposal fees. This does not cover the weight of the tires. The weight of the tires will be deducted from your permit if you are disposing them on a permit. Cash customers will pay the weight and the tire disposal fee.

Automotive Wastes

Battery Receptacle
Oil and Antifreeze Structure

Car Batteries - Please store in an upright position and place in designated container, in the Recycling are, next to the oil structure

Waste Oil - Accepted from residential users in quantities of 5 gallons or less per visit to the Transfer Station, pour oil in designated spot, or leave oil jug in marked area for attendant to empty.

Antifreeze - Accepted in quantities of 5 gallons or less. Do not mix with other liquids.

Freon area at Transfer Station

Appliances with Freon

A $7 per unit fee is charged for refrigeration units. This fee helps to offset the cost of Freon removal, which is mandated by law. The weight of the unit is deducted from your permit allowance.  All refrigerators/freezers must be empty of food prior to disposal.  All refrigerator/freezer doors must be removed and all other appliance latches/doors must be disabled or removed prior to entry. Refrigerators and Freezers will be inspected by the scale operator and stickered before entering the Transfer Station.

All other appliances and metals should be placed in the designated Scrap Metal area.

Household Hazardous Waste

Wastes generated within your home are not regulated by law and can usually be legally and safely disposed of at the Transfer Station once they are properly prepared.

Paints, solvents and other liquid wastes may be air dried or solidified in sand or kitty litter and then double bagged for disposal. If you are unsure about a specific item - call the Recycling Line at 447-8084 for assistance.

Latex Paint - Latex paint exchanges are held twice a year in spring and fall. 

If the paint is not usable or if you cannot bring the paint on these dates, please air dry or solidify and double bag for disposal.

When purchasing household hazardous wastes (items that may be hazardous to health or the environment), please look for a safe alternative first. Then remember that the product isn't a waste until you throw it out. So, if you buy what you need and use what you buy - there isn't any waste for disposal.

Tipping Fee - $70.75 per ton

Contact Information:

Jim Lang

Scale Operator
447-8082 option 3