Thank you for taking the time to contact our department regarding your concerns. The Helena Police Department strives to maintain an open and positive relationship with the public, and understands this relationship must be based upon mutual confidence and trust. We aim to provide professional, timely and efficient law enforcement services to the citizens of Helena and the surrounding areas. If any of our personnel act in a way to discredit our agency or the City of Helena, we want to know about it.
All complaints received by our department, whether from the public or from our own employees, will be fully and impartially investigated. Complaints are investigated to determine the validity of the allegations contained in them and to ensure any discipline that is necessary is handled in a fair and impartial manner.
The following is some information concerning our complaint procedures:
1. Complaint packages containing information on our complaint process and necessary forms for filing a complaint are available from any Helena Police Officer, on the first floor of the Helena City/County Building, and on the department website at www.helenamt.gov/police
2. We prefer complaints be filed in writing; however they may also be filed in person or by telephone. To assist us in completely investigating your complaint, we ask that you provide your name and contact information so we can contact you for other information if necessary, and to advise you of the outcome of the complaint investigation. The department will accept unsigned or anonymous complaints.
3. Complaints may be turned in to any supervisory officer on the department, usually the on-duty shift commander – this is normally a Sergeant or Corporal.
4. Complaints will be investigated by an officer with supervision over the officer or officers against whom your complaint is made. The Chief of Police may assign another officer or agency to complete the investigation at his discretion based on the circumstances of the complaint.
5. Whenever reasonably possible, we attempt to complete all complaint investigations within 30 days. We will attempt to contact you and advise you when the investigation is complete and of any information we are able to share as to the actions taken. Please keep in mind in many cases internal personnel disciplinary actions are confidential and the details cannot be shared with the public.
If you have any other concerns or questions, feel free to contact the Department Administrative Offices at (406) 447-8479, Monday - Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm.
Chief Troy McGee