Zoning Ordinance Amendment: Creation of a New Zoning District
TO ESTABLISH THE INTENT, LAND USES, DISTRICT DIMENSIONAL STANDARDS AND SIGNAGE REQUIREMENTS FOR A NEW ZONING DISTRICT TO BE KNOWN AS THE R-U (RESIDENTIAL-URBAN) DISTRICT
Since February 2015, the Helena Zoning Commission has conducted several work sessions to develop design guidelines for future development and redevelopment in the City of Helena. Due to recent discussions related to multi-dwelling unit development in the current R-1 and R-2 (Residential) Districts, the Zoning Commission worked to create a new mixed use zoning district to be known as the R-U (Residential-Urban) District.
The intent of the R-U District is to provide for the following:
* Single and two-dwelling unit development similar to the current R-1 and R-2 (Residential) Districts but at a higher density.
* A compatible mix of professional and business offices and associated service uses and signage allowances that are similar to the uses of the current R-4 and R-O (Residential-Office) Districts.
* Establish setbacks, lot coverage, and building heights that encourage a higher density urban type development.
On Tuesday, June 14, 2016, members of the City of Helena Zoning Commission held a public hearing to consider adopting an ordinance to establish an R-U Zoning district by establishing the intent, land uses, dimensional standards, and signage requirements for the new district. The Zoning Commission motioned to adopt the ordinance to the amend City Code to establish the district. The proposed ordinances were presented to the City Commission for first passage at a public hearing on September 12, 2016. After receiving first passage, the ordinances were presented to the City Commission on September 26, 2016 where they received final passage. The following ordinances will become effective on October 26, 2016.
1. Ordinance No. 3222 establishes an R-U (Residential-Urban) Zoning District amending Sections 11-2-2, 11-2-3 and 11-4-2(E) of City Code to include the intent, the permitted uses, conditional uses, and uses not permitted and the district dimensional standards for the R-U (Residential-Urban) District.
2. Ordinance No. 3223 amends the Sign Uses for Specified Districts in Section 11-23-10 of City Code, R-O and PLI Districts and makes the sign requirements for the R-U (Residential-Urban) District the same as the R-O District.
For additional information on the R-U District, please see the staff report or other related documents on the City’s website at: www.helenamt.gov or contact H. Elroy Golemon, City Planning, Room 445, 316 N. Park Ave., Helena, MT 59623, 406-447-8490 or 406-447-8448 or email egolemon(at)helenamt.gov.
Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations to participate in the City’s meetings, services, programs, or activities should contact the City’s ADA Coordinator, Elroy Golemon, as soon as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange for the requested accommodation at any of the following: Phone: (406) 447- 8490; TTY Relay Service 1-800-253-4091 or 711; Email: Citycommunitydevelopment@helenamt.gov; Mailing Address & Physical Location: 316 North Park Ave., Room 445, Helena, MT 59623.